About the Palo Alto Elks Lodge #1471
In 1923, the Palo Alto Elks Lodge was founded with the help of our sister Lodge in San Mateo. Our Lodge was originally located in downtown Palo Alto and formed with 100 members; half were new members and half were transfers from San Mateo.
Our first meeting place was the Native Sons Hall on the corner of Emerson Street and Hamilton Avenue. After a few years, we moved to the University Pharmacy Building on the corner of University Avenue and High Street.
In the early years, many local businessmen joined the Lodge and membership rapidly increased. However, by 1929 the looming depression had impacted our membership greatly. Palo Alto Elks Lodge managed to survive these lean years and soon attracted new members; ultimately outgrowing our downtown location. In 1937, we moved south to what was then thought of as 'way out in the countryside' to Millers Restaurant which later became the wonderful Rickey's Hyatt House.